Saturday 14 July 2012

The Rest of the Worldwake ETB Lands

Bojuka BogHalimar Depths
Sejiri SteppeSmoldering Spires
I'll be the first to admit it: I dun goofed. As was pointed out by one of my friends on Facebook, I forgot the other 4 ETB lands from Worldwake in my Khalni Garden Review. There's a very good explanation for that though: outside of Halimar Depths, which I honestly thought was from Zendikar, I've never seen any of these played so I forgot they were a set. Rather than do them all at once, I'll just do a quick review of each one right now.

Bojuka Bog
Exiling an opponent's graveyard is nice, but there are only so many instances where that will be useful. If they're not playing a reanimator or Flashback deck, it's ETB effect is pretty lackluster.
Pros: Exiles an opponent's graveyard
Cons: Will only be effective against certain types of decks
Rating: 3.5/5

Halimar Depths
Like I said before, the only reason I forgot about this card was because I thought it was from a different set. I run at least 2 of these in all of my blue decks because its ETB effect is the best out of the set. It's a mini-Sage of Epityr on a land! The only time that that effect won't be useful is right after you set up your top cards, but first turn - mwah!
Pros: Early game stacking
Cons: Isn't useful if you've already stacked your deck
Rating: 4.5/5

Sejiri Steppe
This card is probably the weakest of the set. Sure, giving something protection from a colour is nice, but it only really works against mono-colour decks and with the prevalence of multicolour decks coming into being, it can really backfire easily. This effect is much nicer on an instant like Stave Off or Prismatic Boon
Pros: Give a creature protection from a colour for a turn
Cons: Not at instant speed, doesn't work well against multicolour decks
Rating: 2/5

Smoldering Spires
This is the card Sejiri Steppe was trying to be. The ability's fairly mediocre and it's definitely more useful in the early game. Late game, this probably won't make much of a difference (unless they've got something like Foriysian Interceptor that you can gum up).
Pros: Stops a creature from blocking, great early game
Cons: Only stops 1 creature from blocking, weak late game
Rating: 3.5/5

There! Now all the Worldwake ETB lands are dealt with. Happy now Smythe?

No comments:

Post a Comment